Date(s) - 01/18/18
12:00 pm - 1:30 pm
The FCC’s political guru, Bobby Baker, joins Fletcher Heald & Hildreth attorneys Montero, Kirkpatrick and Johnson to help broadcasters get themselves ready for election season.
As election season looms, Fletcher Heald & Hildreth, along with the Colorado Broadcasters Association will be hosting a webinar devoted to a practical overview of the FCC’s political broadcasting rules.
Presenting will be FHH attorneys Frank Montero, Dan Kirkpatrick and Scott Johnson, who will be joined by Bobby Baker, long-time head of the FCC’s political programming staff. Bobby is the FCC’s primary authority on political broadcasting. The program will include written materials and illustrations that will be available for download. Topics addressed will include:
- Lowest unit rate calculation for various classes of time and dayparts.
- Equal Opportunities (sometimes called equal time) requirements and what programs are “exempt” ?
- Are political ads streamed on the internet affected?
- When can broadcasters edit or turn down political ads?
- How to handle “issue” ads from PACs, an expected big revenue source in 2018?
- What political file recordkeeping is needed to avoid complaints and fines?
- What are requirements for uploading of political files to the FCC’s “publicly” available website?
- How can uploading of a political file potentially hurt a station?