Chief Content Officer
Rocky Mountain Public Media, home to Rocky Mountain PBS and KUVO radio, is the largest statewide, member-supported, multi-media network in Colorado. Rocky Mountain Public Media's mission is to strengthen the civic fabric in communities throughout Colorado, engaging audiences through high-quality, trusted programming, community programs and partnerships, and educational initiatives that inform, enlighten and entertain. To further this mission, Rocky Mountain Public Media seeks a full-time Chief Content Officer.
As a member of the senior leadership team, the Chief Content Officer works closely with the CEO and other organization leaders to create a meaningful and relevant experience for Rocky Mountain Public Media's audience. The Chief Content Officer oversees the Content teams; Television, Radio, Digital platforms, and Programming.
- Manages and directs Content teams; Television, Radio, Digital platforms, and Programming.
- Leverages unique assets across multiple platforms to create a meaningful and relevant experience for the audience and utilizes data and analytic tools to evolve content offerings and delivery mechanisms to maximize user experience and engagement.
- Develop and manage department budgets and provide fiscal direction for Content departments and associated grants and projects.
- Identify and ensure that production resources are coordinated efficiently to support content, grant and local production/project activities.
- Works as part of the Executive Management team to establish strategic and editorial direction and ensure the department is supporting the organizational goals and mission.
- Define vision for content creation and distribution platforms.
- Develop and implement a multi-platform content strategy that builds the use of content across platforms and enhances the user/audience experience.
- Provide editorial leadership and direction, ensuring that content is on-brand, diverse and inclusive of all audiences, consistent in quality and optimized for user experience across platforms.
- Works directly with Programming Manager to develop programming strategies that inform programming schedules, content placement, content acquisition and creation, and distribution plan for all Radio, Television and Digital platforms.
- Works with Program Manager to identify acquisitions needs and budget; liaisons with program suppliers; determines best practices for acquisition use; negotiates and manages contracts and agreements related to content creation and distribution.
- Analyze audience data, trends, and user habits to develop and evolve content creation, use of platforms and audience experience to maximize viewers, listeners, and users.
- Ensure that all areas of Content are in constant communication with internal and external "customers" in order to provide superior service and ensure consistent, effective communication with clear expectations.
- Work with content leaders/teams to build a collaborative environment, to create a broader understanding of organizational needs and ensure implementation of content strategy aligns with organizational mission/vision/values.
- Oversees the IPSC - Independent Producers Selection Committee process to select outside productions for RMPBS air and manages and coaches outside producers to ensure that delivered content meets RMPBS Red Book Specs.
- Ensures all productions have legal contracts, promotional material, and other necessary content.
- Liaises with APT, NETA or other national distributors when RMPBS is the presenting station for IPSC content.
- Work with content teams to develop, implement and evolve standards, systems, workflows, technologies, and best practices for content creation, distribution, archival / retrieval, and content re-purposing.
- Represents the organization to the general public, advisory boards, Corporation for Public Broadcasting, and other professional and community organizations.
- Maintain relationships with local and national partners.
- Responsible for content department compliance with journalistic integrity, station policies, grants, and contracts.
- Ensure FCC and other regulatory compliance and provide content for the FCC quarterly public files.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS OF POSITION:
Bachelor's degree in a relevant field. Minimum of 10 (ten) years' experience in television or multimedia production. Five years' experience in managing journalists and content producers.
PREFERRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
Considerable experience in television, radio and multi-media programming, production and operations. Ability to manage staff of creative media professionals; knowledge of program rights and development, familiarity with national programming guidelines and processes within public media; understanding of and ability to interpret audience trends and platform usage and apply to decision making process related to production, programming and platform distribution; knowledge of rules and regulations related to broadcasting and media creation and distribution; knowledge of fundraising in a public broadcasting environment; ability to develop and implement cross-media projects and products and ensure that components necessary to support success are in place, understand the role and reach of the multiple platforms (TV, Radio, Online, Social, etc.) within a public media ecosystem and how to best utilize and coordinate resources for the largest benefit.
PROCEDURE FOR APPLICATION: Persons interested in this position should submit the following items:
- A cover letter detailing how the applicant's qualifications fit the needs of RMPM and information on how the applicant found out about the job opening.
- A resume detailing education, training, salary history, and employment experience.
- Names, addresses, and phone numbers of at least three professional references with a thorough knowledge of the applicant's professional experience and achievements.
- Compensation requirements.
Position will be posted at www.rmpbs.org/jobs until filled. No phone calls please. KRMA-TV/KTSC-TV/KRMJ-TV/KRMU-TV/KRMZ-TV and KUVO-FM/KVJZ-FM are licensed to and operated by Rocky Mountain Public Media, Inc. as non-commercial public television and radio. Rocky Mountain Public Media, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer.
For more information, or to apply now, you must go to the website below. Please DO NOT email your resume to us as we only accept applications through our website.