KOTO Radio Seeks News Director
KOTO Community Radio seeks a dedicated, motivated journalist to helm the News Department of a treasured institution in beautiful Telluride, Colorado.
Since 1975, KOTO Radio has provided the Telluride region with high-quality, commercial-free, non-underwritten community radio. Our mission is to inform, educate and entertain while reflecting the needs, desires and diversity of our community.
The KOTO News Department has a legacy of being an independent news source that offers programming at 6 p.m. Monday through Friday without fail. The news must be consistent, informative and above all else, accurate. The right candidate will have exceptional organizational skills, be a strong team player and be able to meet a daily deadline. This is a fast-paced position for a self-starter who must understand small-town culture and value community news.
As News Director, you will directly supervise a part-time reporter, produce and assign news stories, schedule and host a weekly public affairs programs, plan and produce enterprise and investigative coverage beyond the daily grind, work with other station staff to share duties, participate on on-air fundraising and lend a hand at KOTO events.
- Management of local news each weeknight.
- Produce Tuesday evening public affairs program.
- Exercise news judgment, define journalistic priorities and build trust.
- Manage all digital initiatives of the KOTO News Department and build upon our digital presence.
- Cover and assign stories on local government, housing, education, transportation, health care, environment, etc. while also producing meaningful feature and enterprise stories. Must not be above reporting on a lost pet rabbit during off season.
- Monitor emergencies and work closely with emergency officials to provide news updates during public safety incidents such as car crashes, mudslides, avalanches and lost people.
- Communicate with DJs during emergency events.
- Participate in staff meetings and attend annual Rocky Mountain Community Radio conference.
Necessary Skills and Experience:
- Journalism degree or experience covering community news strongly preferred
- Familiarity with best practices for digital content and social media
- Demonstrated commitment to accuracy, ethics, and transparency
Salary and Benefits:
Salary range $35,000 to $42,000. Full-time position with health benefits. Paid time off includes escalating vacation time and holidays. There are perks!
Deadline to apply: Sept. 3
Send cover letter and resume to [email protected]. Serious inquiries only. Please research Telluride and the housing situation here before you apply.
KOTO’s News Director reports to the Executive Director. Since 1975, KOTO has provided the Telluride region with high-quality, commercial-free, non-underwritten community radio.