Journalism Intern (Summer Internship)
Journalism Intern (Summer Internship)
Rocky Mountain Public Media, Inc. is the parent company of Rocky Mountain PBS, KUVO Jazz and The Drop. Over a million Coloradans turn to Rocky Mountain PBS to discover provocative and inspiring local, national, and international programming; find diverse viewpoints; score front row center seats to world-class performances; and experience lifelong learning opportunities every month.
The Daniel & Janet Mordecai Journalism Internship is a summer internship opportunity for a current student to work with the Rocky Mountain PBS content team on daily responsive content and long form projects. This internship is for those who want to learn the decisions behind story selection and execution and use DEI principles in that decision making.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for production of responsive content and special project work when required.
- Shoots, edits, and/or writes content for multiple platforms of RMPM to help further the mission of creating a Colorado where everyone is seen and heard.
- Engages with communities in Colorado to create an open door for content. Meet with community leaders to listen to and hear story ideas. Represents RMPM at community events.
- Uses solid news judgment with the ability to see and recognize stories.
- Actively participates in RMPM's Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) training program.
- Other tasks as assigned and/or required.
Minimum Qualifications of Position:
- High school degree or equivalent
- Must be enrolled in, or have recently completed, a program at an accredited university/college
- A mix of demonstrated skills, abilities and knowledge will be considered in place of education requirements
Additional Qualifications of Position:
- Must be able to work both independently and as a collaborative and productive team member.
- Must possess strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work professionally and productively with persons at all levels.
- Must possess exceptional time management, decision making and organizational skills.
- Must be detail-oriented with an ability to manage several projects simultaneously.
- Must have a demonstrated ability to work under pressure, meet deadlines, and work within established budgets.
- Must possess a valid driver's license and an acceptable MVR; must be insurable for driving station vehicles.
This position works primarily in office, studio, editing, and/or field environments. This position must be able to work a flexible schedule with occasional evenings and weekends. Must be able to travel throughout the state and beyond, on occasion. The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The position requires the ability to lift and carry production equipment up to 50 lbs. The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
PROCEDURE FOR APPLICATION: Persons interested in this position must apply at
https://rmpbs.isolvedhire.com/jobs/ and please submit the following items:
- A cover letter detailing how the applicant's qualifications fit the needs of RMPM and information on how the applicant found out about the job opening.
- A resume detailing education, training, and employment experience.
Position will be posted until filled. No phone calls please. KRMA-TV/KTSC-TV/KRMJ-TV/KRMU-TV/KRMZ-TV and KUVO-FM/KVJZ-FM are licensed to and operated by Rocky Mountain Public Media, Inc. as non-commercial public television and radio.
Don't meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that women and/or people of color are less likely to apply to a job unless they meet every qualification. We're committed to building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workforce. If you're excited about this role, feel a passion for our mission, this feels like it could be your dream job, but your previous experience doesn't align perfectly with every qualification, we encourage you to apply!
Rocky Mountain Public Media embraces diversity and equal opportunity. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. As such, Rocky Mountain Public Media does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.
For more information, or to apply now, you must go to the website below. Please DO NOT email your resume to us as we only accept applications through our website.