EAS Equipment

A variety of manufacturers are producing EAS equipment. All of the equipment has to be Certified by the FCC and must meet certain other FCC requirements, which include having the capability to monitor 2 different sources and being programmed with the official EAS event codes. Most of the current EAS equipment on the market has gone through several software upgrades to ensure that the equipment meets the needs of broadcasters and cable systems, as well as the requirements of the FCC.

All of the equipment can send and receive tests and alerts, but how the unit needs to be programmed, and the method by which it stores or prints tests and alerts may vary. Contact the vendors of EAS equipment to determine which systems will best suit your needs.

If you have already purchased a system and are having difficulty determining what else you need to make it operational, contact the technical support staff of the manufacturer of your equipment.

EAS Equipment Vendors

This LINK will take you to the FCC website’s Certified EAS Equipment Vendors.

Antennas for Receiving RF Signals:
Outdoor omni-directional discone:
Outdoor VHF Hi-/UHF omni-directional scanner:
(Option: You can split the signal via a “tee” connector to feed two RF receivers)

Antennas for Transmitting RF Signals:
Use your existing two-way radio system console. Install a switchable audio input, so the operator may use one microphone and either transmit standard dispatches, or send an EAS alert.

Dedicate an omnidirectional or directional antenna with a specific transmitter for only EAS alerts. Patch audio out of the EAS unit to the audio input of the transmitter.

Receivers and Transmitters:
Purchase radio scanning receivers for the frequency or frequencies you wish to monitor. (i.e. 150-170 MHz, 450-470 MHz, and 800 MHz bands):
NWS cube radio receivers:
Digital AM/FM radio receivers:

Try to utilize your own two-way radio transmitting system for the sending of EAS alerts. (You only need to modify the standard microphone input so that it will accept the audio input from the EAS unit.)

If unable to utilize an existing two-way radio system, you must acquire a transmitter with associated cabling and modify the audio input to accept signals from the EAS unit.

Cables, Connectors, and Other Needs:
Microphone”Tee” connector for splitting RF signal to two radio receivers:
RG-8 Cabling for antenna to radio receiver RF input:
Mast sections in 5 foot increments:
Mast section mount for existing tower (this assumes you have a mounting structure):
Guy kit for antenna mast which includes wire, insulators, turnbuckles.
Grounding kit for antenna mast which includes clamps, ground rod, and wire.

Audio Input and Output Needs:
You will need to connect a microphone to the EAS unit to record audio messages.  A cable/wire is needed to send the audio output from the radio receiver to the EAS unit.

Telephone Needs:
Acoustic coupler to couple the EAS encoder signal into the telephone lines for reception at a distant location, such as the Local Primary Station ( LP-1.) This method would be used in lieu of transmitting the EAS encoder signal over a two-way radio system.