“Indie 102.3 began broadcasting in Colorado Springs in April 2020 and has seen steady audience growth in the region,” said CPR President and CEO Stewart Vanderwilt. “We’re excited to expand its reach through this trade while also establishing a paid internship program for students from Pikes Peak Community College.”
As part of the agreement, PPCC students will have the opportunity to intern with KRCC, the southern Colorado news station operated by CPR.
“This trade represents a win-win for CPR and our students,” said PPCC President Lance Bolton. “CPR gets a stronger signal, and our students get new internship opportunities at KRCC. Meanwhile, the college’s station, now called Xtra Music 102.1, will continue to play the maximum variety of tunes that our campus community loves.”
In addition, CPR and KRCC will also provide engineering assistance to PPCC’s tower and infrastructure.
Until the trade is complete, both stations will continue to be available at their current FM and AM signals. Additionally, both stations are available to stream online from their respective websites (PPCC/Xtra, Indie 102.3) or via smart speakers.
About Colorado Public Radio
Colorado Public Radio is a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization delivering meaningful news, music, and cultural experiences to everyone in Colorado using the power of the human voice in all its forms. Roughly 95 percent of CPR’s funds come from the private support of listeners, businesses and foundations. For more information, visit www.cpr.org.
- CPR News delivers in-depth, insightful and impartial news and information from around the world, across the nation and throughout Colorado, examining its relevance to our state and connecting it to our community.
- CPR Classical takes listeners on an in-depth exploration of thoughtfully curated music – with an emphasis on Colorado’s classical community – providing context to a broad range of meaningful and compelling works from past to present.
- Indie 102.3 takes listeners inside the world of new and independent music – exposing them to up-and-coming artists and highlighting Colorado’s local music scene.
- Denverite is an online news source dedicated to Denver’s curious and concerned.
- KRCC is a public radio station in Colorado Springs, Colorado, serving Southern Colorado. KRCC is operated by Colorado Public Radio in partnership with Colorado College.
About Pikes Peak Community College
Established in 1968 and accredited by the Higher Learning Commission, PPCC offers associate degrees, certifications in career and technical fields and three bachelor’s degrees. With three campuses, various off-campus locations, two military education centers, and hundreds of online classes, PPCC provides access to a quality, affordable and flexible education to more than 20,000 students annually with both credit and non-credit classes.
About Xtra Music 102.1
Xtra Music 102.1 is faculty run, but student operated, so every voice you hear on the air is a future broadcaster of America! The KXRE student interns are all enrolled in the Broadcast and Electronic Media Program at Pikes Peak Community College, and being on the air is one of the many opportunities extended to them on their journey towards their Associates of Applied Science degree. PPCC’s college station has a rich history of preparing students for both full and part-time positions in commercial radio. One only has to listen around the dial in Southern Colorado to hear former students excelling on the air at a number of popular stations. Catch them on the road to success as they hone their skills each semester.